Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Vols 2009 season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Vols 2009 season

    Tennessee (7-5, 4-4 Southeastern Conference) made sure its streak of dominance over Kentucky (7-5, 3-5) didn?t end in coach Lane Kiffin?s first year on the job. The win also likely locked up a New Year?s Day bowl for the Volunteers and clinched second place behind Florida in the SEC East.
    ---------------------------------------


    if you were told at the beginning os the season this is how the Vols would end up I'm sure you would have been pretty happy. I must say that Kiffin got a lot out of the QB position that no one would have given a chance to. Kicking game killed them and OL play against Bama or Kiffin would have had a huge singature win in season 1.
    overall, it was a pretty good year. now it is time to build on the success, recruiting is going better than it has in years so the furture could be bright.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    I would have to go back and find it but I said that we could finish 8-4 and no worse than 7-5. They sure cut it close, lol.

    We finished 7-5, 2nd in the SEC East, going to a New Year's Bowl, and more than likely toward a Top 5 recruiting class. I am pretty excited about the future of UT football and this season to me was wonderful, especially considering all the injuries that mounted during mid-late season.

    Had you told me we would at one point start a total of 13 walk-ons and we would have accomplished those mentioned I would have told you that you were crazy. The coaching staff has done a phenomenal job in their first year on the Hill IMO.

    There is some talk that the Outback Bowl and Cotton Bowl may do a switch-a-roo as they want UT instead of Ole Miss because they had them last year and UT has been to the Outback 3 of the last 4 seasons. Although, the Kiffin ties in Tampa may hold that off, guess we will have to wait and see. Layla Kiffin even used to be on the Outback Bowl staff......
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by UTVols2 View Post
    Layla Kiffin even used to be on the Outback Bowl staff......
    I'd like to have her on my staff.

    I'm happy with the way the season went overall. The UCLA and Auburn losses sucked because they were a completely different team just a couple weeks later. They got riddled with injuries which helped lead to the losses to Bama and Ole Miss. For the most part and what they had to work with, a major overachievment. Next year might be rough.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  4. #4
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    Next year might be rough.
    Yep..... a lot of young kids will be on the field next year, A LOT and that can always be a problem.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member wisecav13SWH's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    I'd like to have her on my staff.
    I have nothing to contribute to the thread but I can see Kevin saying that. He's the best.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Kicking game killed them

    Thats a understatement. I remeber when the kicking game used to be money. What was the boy from VA High or Tn High? Was that Jeff Hall? And the Colquits punting kept us in more than a few games.
    GO VOLS

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Alex Walls VA High.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Alex Walls VA High.
    Man he was a good kicker to. Tn Had a few good yrs of good Kickers. I wonder where is is at these days?
    GO VOLS

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    I wonder where is is at these days?
    He's coming next year hopefully. UT has the top kicker/punter in the country commited.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vols 2009 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    He's coming next year hopefully. UT has the top kicker/punter in the country commited.
    Man I hope so. I never thought I would miss field goals as much as i do lately. Did Better Against UK tho
    GO VOLS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •